Thông Tây Hội Temple on Thống Nhất Street, Gò Vấp District, HCMC is among the oldest temples in Saigon. In the beginning, the temple was built with bamboo frames and thatch walls. In 1883, it was reconstructed in the 19th century, in the traditional style of Southern ancient temples. It got acknowledged as the National Relic of Architecture, Arts, Culture, and History in 1998.
The temple is the worship place of a village god, as per Vietnamese spiritual traditions. The gods in this case are Đông Chinh Grand Prince and Dực Thánh Grand Prince, sons of King Lý Thái Tổ. It does not only serve as a community spiritual venue but also plays a role in conserving spiritual and traditional values of Saigonese in particular and Southern citizens in general.
*Photo: From the Internet